Sunday, August 3, 2008

My Work at the Ministry of Gender and Development

This blog has primarily covered issues about Liberian leadership, culture, holidays, athletics, post-conflict recovery, etc. I have not written a great deal about my work this summer, which represented the vast amount of my time, energy, passion, stress, and joy -- so I will share that now.

The Liberian Government asked me to create a brief report on my achievements, constraints, and recommendations. Below is what I submitted to them:

Achievements

Coordinated and executed management audit of the Ministry of Gender and Development (MoGD)
• Conducted—through research, interviews, and observation—a thorough diagnostic of MoGD processes, organizational structure, systems, management, coordination, supervision, mandate, etc.
• Submitted 60-page Assessment Report on analysis, findings, and recommended way forward

Designed and conducted workshops for MoGD senior management and employees
• Co-designed and facilitated five-hour leadership workshop for MoGD supervisors (including Minister, two Deputy Ministers, one Assistant Minister, all Directors and Chief of Sections)
• Co-designed and facilitated five-hour workshop for all MoGD employees analyzing the MoGD Mandate and establishing a vision for the Ministry
• (The latter two workshops received evaluations of 9 out of 10, and almost all participants reported that they would utilize tools offered and lessons learned, and that they gained a better understanding of leadership, their own responsibilities, and the MoGD Mandate)
• Co-designed and facilitated five hours of technical workshops on Microsoft Office (approximately 60 employees attended; most reported they would use lessons learned on a daily basis in their work); followed up with private tutorials

Produced Resource Packets for MoGD and GoL Ministries
• Created “MoGD Employee Toolkit” of 15 original documents to orient / educate employees, including: Brochure on PRS; Brochure on Protocol to the African Charter on Human and People’s Rights on the Rights of Women in Africa; Briefing on MoGD Mandate; Organizational Chart; etc.
• Created “Resource Workbook for Liberian Ministries”—an in-depth analysis of 20 common themes and problems for GoL institutions, with way forward and suggested tools



Prepared National Women’s Conference Report and National Plan of Action for Women
• Compiled transcripts into 50-page report; prepared mini-versions for distribution in Berlin
• Created original organizational design; thoroughly edited and formatted document
• Wrote executive summary, created cover page, table of contents, and President’s Letter
• Conducted analysis of National Action Plan; harmonized it with Poverty Reduction Strategy

Helped write speeches and create presentations for MoGD senior management at national and international forums including:
• Keynote Address, Plan’s Launch of “State of World’s Girls” Report
• Keynote Address, Forum for African Women Educationalists
• Speech, Gender Perspectives in Agricultural Cooperative Development, CDA
• Speech, Developing Churches’ Code of Conduct on GBV
• Speech / Presentation: Gender Mainstreaming in the African Union
• Speech, Stop Rape Concert at SKD Stadium
• Speech, “Humanized” Infrastructure, (for Berlin PRS Meeting)
• Presentation, United Nations Security Council on Liberia: Gender, Peace, and Security

Provided technical assistance to National Gender Forum (NGF) Secretariat
• Designed original brochure on Beijing Platform for Action: 12 Areas of Concern for Women
• Created detailed documents on Beijing Platform for Action for each of the NGF Task Forces
• Composed a one-year Plan of Action for the NGF Secretariat, including a proposal for all recommended trainings and the design of introductory training / orientation retreat

Provided technical assistance to programmatic and technical divisions within MoGD

• Offered written feedback on MoGD Personnel Handbook
• Offered written feedback and rewrote all Terms of Reference (ToR) for Department of Planning & Administration
• Offered written feedback on proposal for Rural Women’s Leadership Structures’ micro-finance scheme and regional elections
• Offered written feedback on report on three-week feasibility study of women’s socio-economic situations in three Liberian counties

• Offered written feedback on draft of Convention for the Elimination of all forms of Discrimination Against Women Report
• Offered written feedback on monthly Gender Based Violence Statistical Report
• Spearheaded and facilitated revitalization of the MoGD Website

Other tasks / achievements
• Composed a Briefing to President Johnson Sirleaf on the Coordination Structure proposed by the MoGD, in regard to the Danish MDG 3 Project; attended and prepare materials for related meetings.
• Wrote 3 letters of recommendation on behalf of the Minister for Liberians pursuing higher education
• Occasionally offered colleagues assistance in their graduate school application process
• Occasionally created agendas / minutes for meetings held in MoGD


Constraints (Note: there were no major constraints during my Summer Internship)

Time
• The nature of summer internships is that they are brief, and it was a productive summer, but nine weeks was not long enough for me to complete all that I would have liked to.

Technical
• Sharing electronic documents was difficult, given the prevalence of viruses. Despite my extreme caution and anti-virus software, my flash drive, laptop, and MoGD desktop were all infected during the summer. This wasted time and effort, and debilitated the devices.
• I kept longer working hours than the MoGD was open, and our apartment did not have Internet access. Thus, I spent most evenings and weekends at hotel restaurants in order to access electricity and Internet. This was not a problem for me, but I am noting that it was a constraint.
• Internet and electricity at the MoGD were occasionally limited, sporadic, or slow, which sometimes limited the pace of work, but were generally fine.


Recommendations
• I was in close contact with the intern from the previous summer (Emily Stanger), who gave me a lot of help and feedback during my preparation for the summer,
creation of my ToR, questions about job-related issues, etc. I highly recommend the creation of a system that enables such “mentorship.”
• I was given all the resources I needed at the MoGD: office; desk; chairs; telephone; internet; electricity; resource books; access to employees and meetings; MoGD car if necessary, etc. This greatly facilitated the ease with which I completed my work, and also enhanced productivity; I encourage other Ministries to do the same, if possible, with their interns.
• The Ministry backed all of my projects, especially at the highest levels of senior management. And they gave me exciting, fulfilling, and interesting assignments. I encourage all Ministries to find supervisors who really want the interns there and can assign the same caliber of assignments: meaningful, important, challenging, etc.
• The Ministry was very personally supportive: ensuring I was picked up from the airport, was driven to the airport on departure; enabled me to go out into the interior for Day of the African Child and for Independence Day in Kakata. They also held a farewell party for me at the end of the summer. This sort of support made the summer incredibly fulfilling; I felt extremely “looked after” and it inspired me to work harder. I recommend that all interns receive such care.
• I could not have envisioned a more rigorous and fulfilling summer; the MoGD was extremely supportive, both personally and professionally. I am grateful to everyone involved.

2 comments:

Iris said...

Hello Laura,

I was interested in Interning with the Liberian Ministry of Gender and Development this summer 2010. Can you please provide contact infomration for someone who can assist me in starting the process?

Thanks,

Iris
iris.kaifa@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

Hello Laura, i'm an italian student. I would like to write my university thesis about the role the birth and the evolution of the Ministry of Gender in Liberia. Can you help or send me some documents about it?
Thank you,

Ludovica

ludster@libero.it